Glandford Crossroads

Glandford watermill was built c.1907 using flint from local gravel pits and had probably not long been rebuilt when the above picture was taken. The mill was not mentioned in Domesday but was certainly mentioned in the 17th century.

In 1824, the miller, William Cooke wrote a letter stating that at times, the tides at his mill used to pass through the water wheel into the mill dam beyond. This happened virtually daily until 1823 and in earlier times it is probable that in times of high tides, sea water came in as far as Bayfield.